search
for
 About Bioline  All Journals  Testimonials  Membership  News  Donations


African Crop Science Journal
African Crop Science Society
ISSN: 1021-9730
EISSN: 2072-6589
Vol. 18, No. 4, 2010, pp. 215 - 222
Bioline Code: cs10025
Full paper language: English
Document type: Research Article
Document available free of charge

African Crop Science Journal, Vol. 18, No. 4, 2010, pp. 215 - 222

 en Dry Method for Preparation of Inulin Biomass as a Feedstock For Ethanol Fermentation
Elisante, E. & Msemwa, V.

Abstract

Sisal leaves which constitute only 2% of the sisal plant have been used in the production of pulp and fiber; the remaining 98% which is mostly of the sisal bole is largely regarded as waste. The bole's high inulin fraction (24-36%) is of particular significance due to its chemical functionality and relative ease of fermentation. utilisationThe objective of this study was to identify properties and pertinent characteristics for developing industrially viable methods of extracting inulin from sisal bole in a readily utilisable form. Inulin was extracted using the dry method 'baking', whereby sisal boles were chopped into chips of defined sizes 1.5-6 cm, before drying at 70 - 150 °C. The dried bole chips were milled to sieved powder of 90-2000 μm. Particle sizes and temperature for total sugars were determined using the dinitrosalicylic (DNS) colorimetric method. Prior to fermentation, the inulin was hydrolysed using sulphuric acid to give a total sugar yield of 5-16% wt/wt depending on drying temperature. In general, high temperatures, e.g. 150 °C led to low sugar recovery (10.3% wt/wt), while low temperatures, e.g. 70 °C gave high sugar recovery (16.3% wt/wt). The fine inulin powder (<250 μm) was richer sugar content (~16%), whereas coarse particles (>400 μm) gave low sugar levels (~9%). The hydrolysed inulin was fermented using Saccharomyces cerevisiae for 57 hours giving consistent ethanol yields depending on initial sugar levels.

Keywords
Agave americana sisal bole, bio-ethanol

 
 fr
Elisante, E. & Msemwa, V.

Résumé

Les feuilles de Sisal constituant seulement 2% de toute la plante ont été utilisé dans la production des pulpes et fibres, et 98 % du reste constituent le tronc était consudéré comme déchet. Le tronc du Sisal possède une fraction élevée de (24-36 %) d'une importance particulière par ses fonctionnalités chimiques et la facilité relative de fermentation. Cet article parle de l'utilisation du polysaccarose du sisal (Agave Americana) à travers la méthode sèche comme un potential du feedstock pour la production de l'éthanol. Cette étude visait l'identification des proprieties et des caractéristiques pertinantes pour le développement industrielle viable des méthodes d'extraction de l'inulin du tronc du sisal en une forme utilisable. L'extraction de l'inulin par la méthode sèche baking était considérée, par laquelle les troncs de sisal étaient coupés en morceaux de dimensions définies (1.5-6 cm) et séchés à 70-150 °C. Les morceaux séchés étaient moulus pour générer une poudre de 90-2000 μm à l'aide d'un tamis d'analyse. La détermination de différentes dimensions de particules et température des sucres était faite par la méthode colorimétrique dinitrosalicylique (DSN). Avant la fermentation, l'inulin était hydrolysé à l'aide de l'acide sulfurique pour donner un rendement total en sucre de 5 16 % wt/wt sur base de la température de séchage. En général, les températures élevées telle que celle de 150 °C avaient donné un bas recouvrement de sucre (10.3% wt/wt) alors que de températures basses dont 70 °C avaient produit un recouvrement élevé (16.3% wt/wt). La poudre de l'inulin fine (<250 μm) a exhibé un taux élevé de sucre (~16%), alors que les particules grossières (>400 μm) avait donné un taux bas d'environ 9 %. L'inulin hygrolysé était fermenté utilisant le Saccharomyces cerevisiae pendant 57 heures donnant de rendements consistants d'éthanol dépendamment de niveaux initiaux du sucre.

Mots Clés
Agave Americana, bio-éthanol, tronc de sisal

 
© Copyright 2010 African Crop Science Journal.

Home Faq Resources Email Bioline
© Bioline International, 1989 - 2022, Site last up-dated on 10-Dec-2021.
Site created and maintained by the Reference Center on Environmental Information, CRIA, Brazil
System hosted by the Internet Data Center of Rede Nacional de Ensino e Pesquisa, RNP, Brazil