search
for
 About Bioline  All Journals  Testimonials  Membership  News  Donations


African Crop Science Journal
African Crop Science Society
ISSN: 1021-9730
EISSN: 2072-6589
Vol. 6, No. 3, 1998, pp. 259-272
Bioline Code: cs98028
Full paper language: English
Document type: Research Article
Document available free of charge

African Crop Science Journal, Vol. 6, No. 3, 1998, pp. 259-272

 fr
Jagtap, S.S.; Alabi, R.T. & Adeleye, O.

Résumé

Les relations du maïs en matière de productivité ont été étudiées à Ibadan dans la savane dérivée du sud-ouest du Nigéria, à l'aide du modèle de simulation CERES-Maize. Cette étude a porté sur six densités culturales allant de 2,96 à 13,3 plants m-2. Le taux de croissance absolu, pour l'ensemble des composantes végétales, a chuté de faìon linéaire avec la densité. La densité optimale était la plus forte pour l'indice de surface foliaire (LAI), 9,35 plants m-2 et la plus faible pour le rendement en grains, 6,95 plants m-2. L'erreur moyenne absolue dans les prédictions du modèle était de 1,8% pour le nombre de jours à l'épiaison et à la maturité, 8% pour le LAI, 5% pour la matière sèche totale et 13% pour le rendement épis. Le LAI, les poids aériens et épis calculés à toutes les densités, ont été ms en relation avec les résultats simulés suivant la formule: LAIM = 1,23 LAIs-0,58, R2 = 0.70; TOPM = 0,49 TOPs + 3154, R2 = 0,30; et EARM = 1,04 EARs-150, R2 = 0,90. La modélisation du poids épi à des densités supérieures à 8,89 plants m-2 était inacceptable. Quoique simple et facile, l'utilisation du modèle CERES-Maize en Afrique subsaharienne risque d'étre limitée par le manque de relevés météorologiques quotidiens, d'informations détaillées sur les sols ainsi que d'ordinateurs. En se servant des extrants simulés comme intrants, des polynmes de second degré incluant la densité comme variable indépendante ont été intégrés aux données afin de concevoir des modèles plus accessibles, aux sens intellectuel et pratique. Ces modèles sommaires peuvent étre utilisés dans l'analyse économique de la production du maïs.

 
 en The influence of maize density on resource use and productivity: an experimental and simulation study
Jagtap, S.S.; Alabi, R.T. & Adeleye, O.

Abstract

Maize productivity relationships were studied at Ibadan in the derived savanna of south-western Nigeria using the CERES-Maize simulation model at six crop densities ranging from 2.96 to 13.3 plants m-2. The absolute growth rate for all plant components decreased linearly with density. The optimum density was highest for LAI, 9.35 plants m-2, and lowest for grain yield, 6.95 plants m-2. The mean absolute error in model predictions were 1.8% for days to silking and maturity, 8% for LAI, 5% for total dry matter and 13% for ear yield. Measured LAI, tops and ear weights across all densities were related to simulation outputs using: LAIM = 1.23 LAIS-0.58, R2= 0.70; TOPM= 0.49 TOPS+3154, R2=0.30; and EARM=1.04 EARS-150, R2=0.90. The model simulation of ear weight at densities greater than 8.89 plants m-2 was unacceptable. Although simple and easy, the use of the CERES-Maize model in sub-Saharan Africa may be limited due to access to daily weather data, detailed soil data and computers. Using the simulated outputs as inputs, second order polynomials with density as the independent variable were fitted to the data to develop summary models that are more accessible in an intellectual and practical sense. These summary models may be used in the economic analysis of maize production.

Keywords
Crop growth, model predictions, optimal density, yield, Zea mays

 
© Copyright 1998 - African Crop Science Society

Home Faq Resources Email Bioline
© Bioline International, 1989 - 2022, Site last up-dated on 10-Dec-2021.
Site created and maintained by the Reference Center on Environmental Information, CRIA, Brazil
System hosted by the Internet Data Center of Rede Nacional de Ensino e Pesquisa, RNP, Brazil