About Bioline  All Journals  Testimonials  Membership  News

African Health Sciences
Makerere University Medical School
ISSN: 1680-6905
EISSN: 1680-6905
Vol. 18, No. 4, 2018, pp. 1046-1056
Bioline Code: hs18139
Full paper language: English
Document type: Study
Document available free of charge

African Health Sciences, Vol. 18, No. 4, 2018, pp. 1046-1056

 en A comparative assessment of caries risk using cariogram among smokers and smokeless tobacco users in india – a cross-sectional study
Sen, Nandini; Asawa, Kailash; Bhat, Nagesh; Tak, Mridula; Sultane, Pratibha & Chakravarty, Tulip


Background: A dearth of literature exists concerning utilization of the unique cariogram model for caries risk assessment in tobacco users.
Objective: To assess & compare caries risk among smokers & smokeless tobacco users using Cariogram model.
Methods: A descriptive cross sectional study was conducted among smokers and smokeless tobacco users of Udaipur for 3 months. Caries risk assessment was done by employing a survey proforma based on the Cariogram model. Statistical analysis included descriptive statistics, Chi-square test followed by Marascuilo procedure and Stepwise multiple linear regression with 95% confidence interval and 5% significance level.
Results: Majority of the smokers (56%) portrayed high caries risk (less chance to avoid new caries) followed by smokeless Tobacco users (34%). Only 40% smokeless tobacco users had relatively high chances (>60%) of avoiding future new caries. The susceptibility sector of the cariogram model contributed primarily to caries risk in the study population.
Conclusion: The study findings from the different cariogram elements converged to indicate that smokers were at maximum caries risk, followed by smokeless tobacco users and therefore Cariogram model could be a useful tool to represent caries risk among smokers and smokeless tobacco users.

Smokers; cariogram; smokeless tobacco; dental caries; sugar.

© Copyright 2018 - Sen et al.

Home Faq Resources Email Bioline
© Bioline International, 1989 - 2024, Site last up-dated on 01-Sep-2022.
Site created and maintained by the Reference Center on Environmental Information, CRIA, Brazil
System hosted by the Google Cloud Platform, GCP, Brazil