The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence and factors associated with microalbuminuria among
newly diagnosed diabetic patients in Mulago National Referral Hospital, Uganda.
In this cross-sectional study conducted between June 2014 and January 2015, we collected information on patients'
socio-demographics, biophysical profile, blood pressure, biochemical testing and echocardiographic findings using a pre-tested
questionnaire. Bivariate and multivariate logistic regression analyses were used to investigate the association of several factors
Of the 175 patients recruited, males were 90(51.4%) and the mean age was 46±15 years. Majority of patients had type
2 DM 140 (80.0%) and the rest had type 1 DM 35 (20.0%). Mean glycated hemoglobin (HbA1C) was 13.9±5.3%. Mean duration
of diabetes was 2 months. Prevalence of microalbuminuria was 47.4 % (95% CI: 40.0%-54.9%) overall. Pregnancy was associated with microalbuminuria (OR7.74[95%CI.1.01-76.47] P=0.050) while mild and moderate physical activity at work were inversely associated with microalbuminuria respectively (OR0.08[95%CI0.01-0.95] P=0.046) and (OR0.07[95%CI0.01-0.77] P=0.030).
Prevalence of microalbuminuria was high in this group. Physical activity at work may be protective against microalbuminuria and this calls for longitudinal studies. Early detection and management of microalbuminuria in diabetics may slow
progression to overt diabetic nephropathy (DN).
Cite as: Muddu M, Mutebi E, Ssinabulya I, Kizito S, Mulindwa F, CM K. Utility of albumin to creatinine ratio in screening for microalbuminuria among newly diagnosed diabetic patients in Uganda: a cross sectional study. Afri Health Sci. 2019;19(1). 1607-1616. https://dx.doi.