About Bioline  All Journals  Testimonials  Membership  News

African Health Sciences
Makerere University Medical School
ISSN: 1680-6905
EISSN: 1680-6905
Vol. 20, No. 2, 2020, pp. 676-681
Bioline Code: hs20034
Full paper language: English
Document type: Study
Document available free of charge

African Health Sciences, Vol. 20, No. 2, 2020, pp. 676-681

 en Ultrasonographic and biochemical assessments as early prediction of polycystic ovarian syndrome in obese women
Ahmed, Alaa A; Moselhy, Said S; Kumosani, Taha A; Huwait, Etimad A; Ghamdi, Maryam A AL-; Madani, Khalid A AL-; AlToukhi, Majdi H & Kumosani, Afnan T


Backgroud: Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is considered as a common cause of hormonal disturbance and obesity. The diagnosis of PCOS was done by different methods including clinical signs as anovulation, hyperandrogenism, biochemical markers and ultrasounographic investigation. This study investigated comparative outcomes of ultrasonographic and biochemical markers for early prediction of PCOS in obese women.
Subjects and methods: Seventy-five patients were clinically diagnosed with obese, PCOS and obese with PCOS and twenty-five normal age matched subjects were enrolled as control. Abdominal and transvaginal ultrasonographic for assessment of ovarian properties. In addition, BMI, serum free testosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), insulin, glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) and LDL-c levels were evaluated.
Results: In obese patients with PCOs (20%) ovaries revealed normal appearance in morphology while the rest (80%) showed PCOs in the form of cysts of 2–8 mm in diameter peripherally arranged around stroma. A significant elevation of free testosterone, DHEA and insulin in obese with or without PCOS compared with obese group (p<0.001). A positive correlation with hormonal abnormalities of increased HA1c, LDL-c, free testosterone, DHEA and insulin compared with obese only.
Conclusion: According to our study findings, ovarian morphology combined with biochemical markers is more reliable for early prediction and diagnosis of PCOS for interpretation and management.

PCOS; Ultrasound; Diagnosis; hormones.

© Copyright 2020 - Ahmed AA et al.

Home Faq Resources Email Bioline
© Bioline International, 1989 - 2023, Site last up-dated on 01-Sep-2022.
Site created and maintained by the Reference Center on Environmental Information, CRIA, Brazil
System hosted by the Google Cloud Platform, GCP, Brazil