search
for
 About Bioline  All Journals  Testimonials  Membership  News  Donations


Journal of Medicine and Biomedical Research
College of Medical Sciences, University of Benin
ISSN: 1596-6941
Vol. 7, No. 1-2, 2008, pp. 16-23
Bioline Code: jm08003
Full paper language: English
Document type: Research Article
Document available free of charge

Journal of Medicine and Biomedical Research, Vol. 7, No. 1-2, 2008, pp. 16-23

 en Micro-trephination Glaucoma Surgery In Nigerians: 10 Years Outcome
Waziri-Erameh, Joseph Momodu & Omoti, Afekhide Ernest

Abstract

The aim of this study was to show the effectiveness of microtrephination glaucoma surgery in Nigerians followed up for up to 10 years. Eight eyes of 5 Nigerian patients who had microtrephination glaucoma surgery at DDS Eye Surgery, Benin City and the University of Benin Teaching Hospital Benin City were followed up for at least 10 years. The visual acuity, cup disc ratio and intraocular pressures were monitored in each eye. Intraocular pressure was measured by applanation tonometry in all cases. Two eyes (25%) had adequate intraocular pressure control and did not require additional medications after 10 years. The remaining 6 eyes (75%) did not have satisfactory intraocular pressure control and needed additional antiglaucoma medication. Micro-trephination appears to be unsatisfactory for effective control of intra-ocular pressure in Nigerian eyes. However the great potential of microtrephination making glaucoma surgery affordable and available to Nigerians and other developing countries may still be realizable. What may be required is to determine the appropriate diameter of the trephine that strikes adequate balance between preventing hypotony and obliteration.

Keywords
Micro-trephination, Glaucoma, Surgery Intra-ocular pressure

 
© Copyright 2008 - CMS UNIBEN JMBR

Home Faq Resources Email Bioline
© Bioline International, 1989 - 2019, Site last up-dated on 11-Sep-2019.
Site created and maintained by the Reference Center on Environmental Information, CRIA, Brazil
System hosted by the Internet Data Center of Rede Nacional de Ensino e Pesquisa, RNP, Brazil