search
for
 About Bioline  All Journals  Testimonials  Membership  News  Donations


Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz
Fundação Oswaldo Cruz, Fiocruz
ISSN: 1678-8060
EISSN: 1678-8060
Vol. 104, No. 5, 2009, pp. 764-768
Bioline Code: oc09168
Full paper language: English
Document type: Research Article
Document available free of charge

Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Vol. 104, No. 5, 2009, pp. 764-768

 en Malaria entomological inoculation rates in gold mining areas of Southern Venezuela
Moreno, Jorge E; Rubio-Palis, Yasmín; Páez, Elisa; Pérez, Enrique & Sánchez, Víctor

Abstract

A longitudinal study of malaria vectors aiming to describe the intensity of transmission was carried out in five villages of Southern Venezuela between January 1999-April 2000. The man-biting, sporozoite and entomological inoculation rates (EIR) were calculated based on 121 all-night collections of anophelines landing on humans, CDC light traps and ultra violet up-draft traps. A total of 6,027 female mosquitoes representing seven species were collected. The most abundant species were Anopheles marajoara check for this species in other resources Galvão & Damasceno (56.7%) and Anopheles darlingi check for this species in other resources Root (33%), which together accounted for 89.7% of the total anophelines collected. The mean biting rate for An. marajoara was 1.27 (SD ± 0.81); it was 0.74 (SD ± 0.91) for An. darlingand 0.11 (SD ± 0.10) for Anopheles neomaculipalpus check for this species in other resources Curry and the overall biting rate was 2.29 (SD ± 1.06). A total of 5,886 mosquitoes collected by all three methods were assayed by ELISA and 28 pools, equivalent to 28 mosquitoes, yielded positive results for Plasmodium check for this species in other resources spp. CS protein. An. neomaculipalpus had the highest sporozoite rate 0.84% (3/356), followed by An. darlingi 0.82% (16/1,948) and An. marajoara 0.27% (9/3,332). The overall sporozoite rate was 0.48% (28/5,886). The rates of infection by Plasmodium check for this species in other resources species in mosquitoes were 0.37% (22/5,886) for Plasmodium vivax check for this species in other resources (Grassi & Feletti) and 0.10% (6/5,886) for Plasmodium falciparum check for this species in other resources (Welch). The estimated overall EIR for An. darling was 2.21 infective bites/person/year, 1.25 for An. marajoara and 0.34 for An. neomaculipalpus. The overall EIR was four infective bites/person/year. The biting rate, the sporozoite rate and the EIR are too low to be indicators of the efficacy of control campaigns in this area.

Keywords
man-biting rate - sporozoite rate - entomological inoculation rate - Anopheles - Plasmodium - Venezuela

 
© Copyright 2009 - Instituto Oswaldo Cruz - Fiocruz
Alternative site location: http://memorias.ioc.fiocruz.br

Home Faq Resources Email Bioline
© Bioline International, 1989 - 2017, Site last up-dated on 16-Oct-2017.
Site created and maintained by the Reference Center on Environmental Information, CRIA, Brazil
System hosted by the Internet Data Center of Rede Nacional de Ensino e Pesquisa, RNP, Brazil