search
for
 About Bioline  All Journals  Testimonials  Membership  News  Donations


Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz
Fundação Oswaldo Cruz, Fiocruz
ISSN: 1678-8060
EISSN: 1678-8060
Vol. 105, No. 4, 2010, pp. 598-603
Bioline Code: oc10101
Full paper language: English
Document type: Research Article
Document available free of charge

Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Vol. 105, No. 4, 2010, pp. 598-603

 en Specific schistosomiasis treatment as a strategy for disease control
Coura, José Rodrigues & Conceição, Maria José

Abstract

The great hope for schistosomiasis treatment began with the development of oxamniquine and praziquantel. These drugs can be administered orally in a single dose and have a high curative power with minor side effects. In this study, we carried out a field experiment involving a population of 3,782 people. The population was examined at four localities in Minas Gerais within the valleys of the Doce and Jequitinhonha Rivers. In this cohort, there were 1,790 patients infected with Schistosoma mansoni check for this species in other resources (47.3%) and we showed that only 1,403 (78.4%) could be treated with oxamniquine in a single dose of 12.5-20 mg/kg orally. The other 387 (21.6%) were not treated during the first stage because of contraindications (pregnancy or impeditive diseases), absences or refusals. It was observed that, on average, 8.8-17% of the infected patients continued to excrete S. mansoni eggs at the end of the 2nd month after treatment and 30-32% of the cohort was infected by the end of the 24th month. In one of the areas that we followed- up for a total of 30 years, the prevalence of the infection with S. mansoni fell from 60.8-19.3% and the hepatosplenic form of the disease dropped from 5.8-1.3%. We conclude that specific treatment of schistosomiasis reduces the prevalence of infection in the short-term and the morbidity due to schistosomiasis in medium to long-term time frames, but does not help to control disease transmission.

Keywords
schistosomiasis - specific treatment - transmission - morbidity control

 
© Copyright © 2010 - Instituto Oswaldo Cruz - Fiocruz
Alternative site location: http://memorias.ioc.fiocruz.br

Home Faq Resources Email Bioline
© Bioline International, 1989 - 2017, Site last up-dated on 16-Oct-2017.
Site created and maintained by the Reference Center on Environmental Information, CRIA, Brazil
System hosted by the Internet Data Center of Rede Nacional de Ensino e Pesquisa, RNP, Brazil