search
for
 About Bioline  All Journals  Testimonials  Membership  News  Donations


Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz
Fundação Oswaldo Cruz, Fiocruz
ISSN: 1678-8060
EISSN: 1678-8060
Vol. 93, No. 3, 1998, pp. 399-402
Bioline Code: oc98076
Full paper language: English
Document type: Research Article
Document available free of charge

Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Vol. 93, No. 3, 1998, pp. 399-402

 en RESEARCH NOTE - Immune response during HIV and tuberculosis co-infection
MG Bonecini-Almeida; JR Lapa e Silva; AL Kritski; I Neves Jr.; MG Morgado; C Nathan & JL Ho

Abstract

The human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) and Mycobacterium
tuberculosis, the etiologic agent of tuberculosis (TB), co-infect
around 6 million people worldwide. In Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 24% of
notified AIDS cases had TB and 5 to 20% of notified TB cases are HIV-1
seropositive. Several authors have already described the deleterious
association between these two microorganisms. Here, we will overview the
immune response to M. tuberculosis and the effect of association
with HIV-1 infection. The natural history of M. tuberculosis
infection indicates that the emergence of delayed-type hypersensitivity
(DTH) and presumably specific acquired resistance is associated with
control of the initial infection in 95% of normal hosts; the other 5%
develop progressive primary TB. In addition, 5-10% of the infected persons
eventually will reactivate latent pulmonary or extrapulmonary foci several
years after infection. HIV-infected individuals and AIDS patients have a
remarkable susceptibility to TB, increasing 113-fold and 170-fold the risk
of TB reactivation, respectively. In addition, it has been shown that TB
accelerates the HIV infection and disease progression.

Keywords
tuberculosis - HIV - macrophage - cytokines and cell activation

 
© Copyright 1998 Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz - Fiocruz
Alternative site location: http://memorias.ioc.fiocruz.br

Home Faq Resources Email Bioline
© Bioline International, 1989 - 2017, Site last up-dated on 16-Oct-2017.
Site created and maintained by the Reference Center on Environmental Information, CRIA, Brazil
System hosted by the Internet Data Center of Rede Nacional de Ensino e Pesquisa, RNP, Brazil