search
for
 About Bioline  All Journals  Testimonials  Membership  News  Donations


Iranian Journal of Pediatrics
Tehran University of Medical Sciences Press
ISSN: 1018-4406
EISSN: 2008-2150
Vol. 19, No. 1, 2009, pp. 75-78
Bioline Code: pe09012
Full paper language: English
Document type: Case Report
Document available free of charge

Iranian Journal of Pediatrics, Vol. 19, No. 1, 2009, pp. 75-78

 en Acute Renal Failure due to Copper Sulfate Poisoning; a Case Report
Mortazavi, Fakhrossadat

Abstract

Background: Copper sulfate is a blue and odorless salt with various industrial, chemical, agricultural and medicinal applications. Copper sulfate poisoning is rare in children.
Case Presentation: A 23-month old boy accidentally ingested a solution of copper sulfate, used as a disinfectant agent in animal husbandry. He was referred to Children's Hospital of Tabriz because of frequent vomiting and lethargy. The major systemic complications were intravascular hemolysis, anemia and acute renal failure. The patient was successfully treated with multiple packed cell transfusions, dimercaprol, penicillamine and peritoneal dialysis. Plasma copper level 15 days after ingestion was 216 μg/dl.
Conclusion: Copper sulfate is a highly toxic agent that, when ingested, can cause local and systemic damage including coma, shock, severe intravascular hemolysis, hepatotoxicity and acute renal failure with high mortality.

Keywords
Copper sulfate, Poisoning, Renal failure, Dimercaprol, Toxic agents

 
© © 2009 by Center of Excellence for Pediatrics, Children’s Medical Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences,All rights reserved.
Alternative site location: http://diglib.tums.ac.ir/pub/

Home Faq Resources Email Bioline
© Bioline International, 1989 - 2017, Site last up-dated on 16-Oct-2017.
Site created and maintained by the Reference Center on Environmental Information, CRIA, Brazil
System hosted by the Internet Data Center of Rede Nacional de Ensino e Pesquisa, RNP, Brazil