About Bioline  All Journals  Testimonials  Membership  News

Neurology India
Medknow Publications on behalf of the Neurological Society of India
ISSN: 0028-3886
EISSN: 0028-3886
Vol. 50, No. 1, 2002, pp. 27-32
Bioline Code: ni02008
Full paper language: English
Document type: Research Article
Document available free of charge

Neurology India, Vol. 50, No. 1, 2002, pp. 27-32

 en Sarcoglycanopathies : A Report of 25 Cases
S.V. Khadilkar, R.K. Singh, S.M. Katrak


Twenty five patients with sarcoglycanopathies were studied prospectively. 21 of them had mild phenotype. Muscle involvement was more pronounced in adductor and flexor groups of muscles of the limbs, hip adductor muscles being the weakest. The selective and differential weakness between weak hip adductors and stronger hip abductors resulted in the hip abduction sign in 64% of cases. Distal muscle involvement in lower limbs was seen in 92% of cases, but was mild and late in the course of the disease. 44% patients had winging of scapulae. Immunocytochemistry showed multiple sarcoglycan deficiencies in 84% patients. Primary β and δ sarcoglycanopathy was seen in the remaining 16% cases. Secondary dystrophin reduction was seen in 44% patients and correlated with β sarcoglycan deficiency but not with functional disability.

Limb girdle muscular dystrophy, Phenotype, Sarcoglycan, Hip abduction sign

© Copyright 2002 Neurology India. Online full text also at
Alternative site location:

Home Faq Resources Email Bioline
© Bioline International, 1989 - 2023, Site last up-dated on 01-Sep-2022.
Site created and maintained by the Reference Center on Environmental Information, CRIA, Brazil
System hosted by the Google Cloud Platform, GCP, Brazil